Who is this course for?
This course is the nationally recognised standard of training for individuals wishing to lead and manage a Forest School programme.
- Participants should be over 21 and hold a qualification at Level 2 or above in teaching, youth work, or as a ranger, and have significant experience of working with young people.
- All participants must hold a First Aid certificate by the end of the course. This can be the 16-hour outdoor first aid certificate or the 3-day First Aid at Work certificate.
Course Cost: £950
Five consecutive days of training in theory and practice to cover;
- Learning and development at forest school
- Forest school practical skills and woodland management
- Establishment and delivery of a forest school programme
Training days run from 9.30am – 4.30pm. As much time as possible will be spent outdoors
Separate residential weekend to develop and assess practical skills and to discuss progress. Dates to be announced during 5 day training.
Assessment of delivery at one of 6 Forest School sessions to be planned and delivered by you.
A coursework portfolio which should be completed within 12 months of the start of the course
Five optional mentoring days to assist you with the completion of your portfolio and to help with the development of your forest school.
The Level 3 course will prepare you to plan, deliver and monitor all aspects of a Forest School programme.
We will discuss up to date theories on the Forest school approach to learning, the holistic development of Forest School learners and a positive attitude to risk taking. The practical outdoor learning will include tool use and the safe lighting, management and use of a camp fire in a Forest School setting, safe use of a range of hand tools and a variety of outdoor games and activities. Also covered will be the identification of woodland flora and fauna, and the sustainable use of a woodland within the context of Forest schools. The course will be run on Forest School principles, so you will see the Forest School ethos in action.
Will this course lead to nationally recognised qualification?
On successful completion of the course you will be awarded a Open College Network West Midlands Region (OCNWMR) Level 3 Certificate in Forest School Programme Leadership (QCF)
What will I need for the course?
Once your application is confirmed you will be sent a full kit list but this is what you will need for the 5 day course.
Please make sure you bring the following with you each day:
- Packed lunch, cup and snacks
- Suitable outdoor clothing for the weather conditions (trousers, not shorts)
- Stout shoes or boots, please do not wear sandals
- A camera can be useful for recording some of the activities
We will provide:
- Tea coffee and biscuits
- All required portfolio paperwork
- All tools and equipment for the outdoor tasks
(N.B. For a variety of reasons we would ask you not to bring your own tools)
Course Dates 2020 - £950
- Monday 26th to Friday 30th October 2020 (Part 1) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex - FULLY BOOKED
- Thursday 25th and Friday 26th March 2021 (Part 2) : Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex
- Monday 9th to Friday 13th November 2020 (Part 1) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex - FULLY BOOKED
- Thursday 20th and Friday 21st May 2021 (Part 2) : Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex
Course Dates 2021 - £950
- Monday 8th to Friday 12th February 2021 (Part 1) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Monday 24th and Tuesday 25th May 2021 (Part 2) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Monday 15th to Friday 19th March 2021 (Part 1) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Wednesday 9th and Thursday 10th June 2021 (Part 2) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Monday 10th to Friday 14th May 2021 (Part 1) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Thursday 1st and Friday 2nd July 2021 (Part 2) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Monday 14th to Friday 18th June 2021 (Part 1) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th September 2021 (Part 2) : Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex
- Monday 23rd to Friday 27th August 2021 (Part 1) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Thursday 25th and Friday 26th November 2021 (Part 2) : Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex
- Monday 4th to Friday 8th October 2021 (Part 1) : Tilgate Park, Crawley, West Sussex
- Thursday 20th and Friday 21st January 2022 (Part 2) : Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex
Maximum numbers, 16 on each course