Top 10 tips to make your garden more wildlife friendly
January is the perfect month to start thinking about making your garden or outside space more friendly for wildlife. You can help animals and birds make it through the winter and plan ahead for the spring and summer.
Here are our Top Ten Tasks for your wildlife garden in January
- Hang bird feeder and put out food on the ground and bird table
- Make sure your bird bath is topped up with fresh water and not frozen
- Regularly clean bird feeders, bird tables and bird bath
- Dig a pond or create a bog garden
- Trim back shrubs and trees once all their berries and fruit have been eaten
- Plant a deciduous tree that produces berries or fruit if you have the space – try Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia) – blackbirds love it!
- Make a log or rock pile to create areas of shelter for wildlife
- Build a compost bin
- Plan a wild flower meadow for spring sowing or planting
- Buy or build a bee nesting box in your garden
Find out more about encouraging wildlife into your garden throughout the year.