Shoresearch - Eastbourne (9/5/17) Tuesday, 9th May 2017 4:00 PM - 8:30 PM
The Pound is located to the western end of Eastbourne’s shingle beach and falls within the Beachy Head East recommended MCZ. Extensive chalk reef is exposure at low tide creating a rocky shore habitat and tidal pools. The site is enhanced by the specialist plants that grow on the shingle at the top of the beach.
Shoresearch is a volunteer scheme to identify and record animals, plants and habitats along our shoreline. The aim of the project is to build a baseline of data on intertidal wildlife around Sussex to help promote its conservation.
- Appropriate clothing for weather conditions on the day (warm clothing and waterproof trousers are often useful; sun protection)
- Sturdy footwear - wellies or other waterproof footwear, preferably with good ankle support
- Drinking water
- A hand lens is useful, if you have one
- Washing-up gloves are useful for poking about in rock-pools in cold weather!
- Collins Pocket Guide to the Sea Shore of Britain and Northern Europe is a useful field guide (although not essential)
Meeting Point: ‘The Kiosk’ – small café on corner of Duke’s Drive, near St. Bede’s School.
Nearest Postcode: BN20 7XL
Map Ref: TV602970