Wilder Ouse Volunteer
- Various Locations within the Wilder Ouse Catchment, ranging from Newhaven in East Sussex to Balcombe and Worth Abbey in West Sussex.
- Overview of the role:
- Help carry out vital conservation tasks on various privately or publicly owned land holdings within East and West Sussex, with the aim of helping to increase climate resilient habitats, create wildlife corridors and utilising nature-based solutions to help tackle pressing issues such as flooding. Practical conservation volunteer days. You will need to wear outdoor clothes, suitable protective footwear, food and drink and enjoy being out during the winter months. Tools and training are provided, though for some tasks you may wish to invest in a pair of protective gloves.
- Type of tasks you will be involved with:
- Tasks include tree planting, removal of non-native species, grassland management, woodland management, fencing, pond creation or restoration, and building leaky dams.
- Experience/Skills Required:
- Essential: Volunteers should have a reasonable level of physical fitness and ideally some interest in wildlife and conservation. Experience is not required. All volunteers will be asked to comply with health and safety regulations. Volunteers must be over 18. Desirable: We are trying to minimise travel, and carbon emissions, so this position is most suited to someone who lives or works in the Ouse Catchment. Flexibility in availability would also be useful.
- Days/Times we would like you to be available:
- Work parties will take place on weekdays throughout the year. Dates are variable and depend on landowner demand. A schedule for the work parties (locations and dates) will be provided ahead of time, but you are never expected to attend all of the work party opportunities. It is recommended that due to the expanse of the Ouse catchment, that you choose opportunities closer to where you reside to avoid being on the road for long periods of time.
- Benefits to volunteer & possible training opportunities:
- You will learn to perform a wide-variety of practical conservation tasks and help to promote nature-based solutions, as well as create a nature recovery network. Sweet treats can be expected from time to time! Travel expenses where applicable.
How to Apply
Please create a user name and password on our secure volunteer portal and complete the registration form. If this link does not work for you, or you would prefer a form sent to you in the post, please email [email protected].