- Grazing takes place across Sussex at 16 of our Nature Reserves across East and West Sussex.
- Overview of the role:
- To help ensure the health and well-being of the Trust’s livestock
- Type of tasks you will be involved with:
- Checking that all livestock on the reserve are accounted for, looking for any signs of ill health, and reporting back to the Grazing Officer. This will also include, checking the water supply and reporting any noticeable emergency fence/gate repairs
- Experience/Skills Required:
- No previous experience is required as training will be provided. We are looking for volunteers who: Can commit to a regular slot (once a week or twice a month). Are fairly confident around livestock. Have a reasonable level of fitness, in order to walk the site. Have their own transport, or are able to get to the relevant reserve(s).
- Days/Times we would like you to be available:
- You can choose which days (preferably mornings) you are able to volunteer on the rota; this could be anything from once a week to /twice per month. The level of involvement is up to you; however we do ask that you are able to honour the days which you sign up for, as all our livestock need to be checked every day. Our grazing programme is seasonal so the animals won’t be present on many sites all year.
- Benefits to volunteer & possible training opportunities:
- Travel expenses can be reimbursed with prior approval of the Grazing Officer, however the Trust encourages volunteering at local reserves, wherever possible. Mobile phone costs which are incurred whilst volunteering can also be reimbursed.
- Brickfield Meadow (Fairwarp)
- Ditchling Beacon (Lewes)
- Filsham Reedbed (Hastings)
- Malling Down (Lewes)
- Marline Valley (Hastings)
- Old Lodge (Hartfield)
- Seaford Head (Seaford)
- Southerham Farm (Lewes)
- Burton Pond (Petworth)
- Ebernoe Common & Butcherlands (Petworth)
- Graffham Common (Petworth)
- Levin Down (Chichester)
- Leythorne Meadow (Chichester)
- Stedham & Iping Commons (Midhurst)
- The Mens (Petworth)
- Waltham Brooks (Pulborough)
For further information, contact email@example.com with 'Lookerer Volunteer' in the subject, please include the location or locations you would like to volunteer for, or call 01273 497500