- Location: Woods Mill nature reserve, West Sussex
- Salary: £11 per hour
- Contract Type: Fixed term until 30 October 2020
- Hours: Part-time (2 days / week) including weekends and occasional evenings, hours may vary depending on season
- Closing Date: Please send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Tuesday 17 March 2020
- Interview Date: TBC, at Woods Mill near Henfield
- Start Date: 1 April 2020
Sussex Wildlife Trust is seeking an experienced Café worker to take responsibility for our new pop-up café at the Woods Mill nature reserve.
Sussex Wildlife Trust
Sussex Wildlife Trust is a conservation charity for everyone who cares about nature in Sussex. We focus on protecting the wonderfully rich natural life that is found across our towns, countryside and coast. By working alongside local people we create opportunities for us all to connect with nature and for nature to thrive in even the most unlikely places. Together we can make sure that future generations living in Sussex will be able to enjoy the sense of wonder and well-being that nature offers.
Woods Mill is the headquarters of Sussex Wildlife Trust and an environmental education centre. Woods Mill is a prime example of what the wider countryside once contained. Visitors can walk past the old ponds and lake, through the ancient woodland, alongside the streams and waterways into the unimproved meadows with their wild hedgerows – habitats all contained within its 47 acres. Woods Mill Nature Reserve is open throughout the year, with a car park and toilets.
We have recently acquired a pop up café, in a converted horse box, that is adding interest and engagement value to the reserve.
We are currently looking for a café worker who can take responsibility for the day-to-day running of the café, including:
- Preparing customer orders, taking payments and reporting of daily sales
- Engagement with members of the public and being an ambassador for the Woods Mill nature reserve and Sussex Wildlife Trust
- Volunteer scheduling, management and training. Recording of volunteer time sheets
- Monitoring expenses and submitting invoices
- Stock control and ordering
- Correct operation of equipment and training others to do the same, ensuring continuity and quality
- Ensuring Health & Safety and Food Hygiene standards are met and keeping accurate records
- Resolving any maintenance needs
- Assisting with cafe promotion on social media and the Sussex Wildlife Trust website
You will be a friendly and outgoing barista or café worker with at least two years’ experience of the Food and Beverage industry. You will be an excellent communicator who is able to engage with a wide range of people. Ideally, you will have experience of working with volunteers or volunteering and have some experience of budget setting and profit maximisation in a similar environment. A passion for sustainability issues and local produce would be an advantage.
As the cafe will be open mainly over weekends and school holidays (until spring 2020), you will be comfortable working weekends, occasional evenings and bank holidays. There is a possibility working hours will be extend from spring 2020.
Please send a CV to email@example.com by 9am on Tuesday 17 March 2020